Saturday, March 17, 2012

An Ingenuous Apologetic (. . . or why I still believe that Christianity is true . . . or more true) Part V -Why I'm Not an Atheist

I have this bad habit of trying to explain myself, so why stop now.

I wanted to make the point what I'm investing in this exercise.  I'm not doing this as a persuasive apologetic. So, I'm not trying to get anyone to see things my way. I'm simply trying to explain why I am still a Christian. That's all.


Continuing in this thought (taking one philosophical possibility at at time) of why I'm not a atheist, the next big reason is that the universe rest on a grid.  What I mean is the order of the universe is profound. The order, in my opinion,  begs of a personal creator. The order is such that Albert Einstein could sit in his office, scribble with calk on a black board, and figure out . . . mathematically . . . profound truths about the universe that later would be proven to be true in experimental physics.

It has taken me a long time to make this post because I was looking for the time when I could do the research to give examples of this order, but I've decided not to.  You know the stuff. A lot of it is used by the Intelligent Design movement and they have many books describing the precise order of the universe. But I will simply say, that an important factor, for me personally . . . and this is after a huge amount of honest thinking about this . . . is that the universe is on a grid.  But I think that this is one of those areas that we all take for granted.  But it deserves a lot of thought.

The atheist have intellectual gymnastic moves to get of this absurdity (absurd if you are an atheist) and the main one is the poly-universe concept. I just heard it mentioned on NPR's "Science Friday" again yesterday. They simply say that the Big Bang created billions of universes, however, only this one had order and the others were all filled with the chaos that you would expect from a accidental freak of the Big Bang. However, only an orderly universe would have survived long enough for life to have evolved. No one would have known that the universe was here unless it had stayed stable long enough for life to evolve to the point of intelligence that is high enough to recognize that the universe is here. So there you go . . . back to the labyrinth in the middle. 

1 comment:

Jaimie Teekell said...

Intellectual gymnastics is right. Yes the multiple universes thing might be true, but I think it's logic gone wrong. A reflection of logic, not logic itself.

It makes me think of a man standing in between two mirrors, seeing a tunnel of his own reflections. He's so busy staring down the tunnel, making connection after connection, he loses himself. He mistakes his actual body for yet another reflection. Or he forgets he is moving the reflections, not the reflections moving him.

That analogy might be weird, but it makes sense in my head. Because it's what happens when someone ignores their own gut feeling for the sake of "scientific integrity." As if it's unbiased and enlightened to create a paradigm where we are meaningless when everything inside us screams that we are so very significant.

And if we are meaningless, if we are an accidental success, how is it safe to assume that we can understand what we are? It's like saying, "Logically I am illogical."