Thursday, October 7, 2010

More Blankets

Someone commented recently, and I think it was Eagle, that they related deeply to the graphic novel Blankets. I wanted to say something at the time but didn't get around to it.

But I too was deeply moved by the book. It was the first (and last so far) graphic novel I've read. I related also because part of the story took place in Marquette, Michigan, as place I lived in for almost 10 years.

But, like the commenter, I sensed the story (somewhat autobiographical) is the typical route away from Christianity. It is a gradual disillusionment. A sense that there is a disconnect between what Christians say they believe, how they act in "Christian public" and how they act and think in their private worlds.

That's why I cringe when I heard in my old church, Ken Ham and on Christian radio that the way to stop the hemorrhage of youth out of the church is to brainwash them harder and brow-beat them earlier. Sad.

But I've linked the title to the original post here about blankets.

4 comments:

Johan said...

I Think I mentioned it. I read Blankets last week or so.
I spent this evening with my younger brother, who I lent the book to, and he related to. He got really angry with religion reading the book, with the hurt the shame brings to the protagonist.
It's a very convincing book, and one that I will recommend unreservedly to anyone.

Johan

MJ said...

I think I said in that old posting, that I were allowed to teach young adults, it would be required reading, along with The Way of All Flesh (looking at the hypocrisy of the Victorian Christianity).

BTW, Thompson has a new book coming out soon that I'm looking forward to reading.

Sixwing said...

This looks like one to add to the reading list.
And, reading through the original comment thread, I'd like to second Here Comes a Candle. The handwritten captions in the first few pages about had me climbing the walls, but the entire book was well worth it, and a fine specimen of a graphic novel to boot.

Anonymous said...

That's why I cringe when I heard in my old church, Ken Ham and on Christian radio that the way to stop the hemorrhage of youth out of the church is to brainwash them harder and brow-beat them earlier.

Exactly the same response as the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, as the USSR slowly crumbled under Brezhnev:

"Increase Political Consciousness Education Among the Masses!"