Sunday, March 4, 2012

Pleasantville . . . a Metaphor for a Personal Renaissance

I've been reviewing movies for our movie club. Last night I watched Pleasantville, staring Toby MaGuire, Reese Witherspoon, Jeff Daniels and William H. Macy.

It's old, common and probably you've seen it. So I won't go into the story line.

There are many great discussion, which the movie can provoke. However, I identified with the movie on a deeply personal level. As color comes to the perfectly "pleasant" American town . . . it was like my personal Renaissance . . . which came after twenty years of hard-core Christian fundamentalism.

While Pleasnatville's first experimentation in beauty came as sexual promiscuity, that isn't at all what I mean. The movies does mature into the the enjoyment of all the senses. But to avoid good music, good books and good ways of thinking for soooo many years, then to discover them at 50 . . . I relate to the movie.  God is good, the things He has made is extremely palatable. I'm so glad I didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

No comments: