Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hurt


This really has nothing to do with my previous posts. I just happen to hear Fresh Air tonight on NPR (on my way to visit my new church's book club). I was deeply moved by a story about this, Johnny Cash's last performance before he died. It was a video produced by Mark Romanek.

This whole story and video is deeply moving. Johnny Cash is singing about all the pain he brought other people during his life, and his great regret that he couldn't go back and fix it.

I believe strongly in redemption. God is in the business, as are we, of bringing redemption to the world. That is the work we are given to do. It must start with myself before it is too late in this life.

I invite you to watch the video at the bottom.


"Hurt"
(originally by Nine Inch Nails)

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

[Chorus:]
What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
Beneath the stains of time
The feelings disappear
You are someone else
I am still right here

[Chorus:]
What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

If I could start again
A million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way


4 comments:

Justin said...

MJ,
Johnny Cash is in my top 3 all time ever list, if not #1. His affinity for the downtrodden, the misfit, the prisoner, and the blue-collar worker; his honesty and willingness to call B.S. that which was; his contradictory life. He reminds me of my father (who also loves Cash's music). His ability to give a concert at San Quentin then publish an album like _Holy_Land_ or _My_Mother's_Hymn_Book_; then to sing a NIN song--honestly--like this. I don't know how tortured he was, but his faith seemed to be squarely based, even in it's imperfection.

hippimama said...

This is such an amazing -- and deeply Christian video/song. His imagery is great - such an understanding of the Fall and redemption. One of my heroes of the faith.

MJ said...

I don't think there was every a time in his life that he would have considered himself as "godly." Which is a good thing. "Godly" people scare me to death.

Anonymous said...

What's your definition of this "Godly" characteristic that scares you? Is it the way the previous church, or pastor, acted? Or general evangelical people?