Saturday, April 3, 2010

Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar

My son Ramsey gave me this book for Christmas, actually in 2008, and I'm just getting around to reading it . . . and will finish it this morning. I can't sing it's praises enough. It doesn't matter if you are an expert in philosophy or a novice. If I ever teach high school course in philosophy this would be my text.

On the issue of "moral relativity" the book touches on the relativity of time. Each chapter is accented with humor. Here is one of the jokes from this section that hit my funny bone:


A man is praying to God. "Lord," he prays, "I would like to ask you a question."

The Lord responds, "No problem. Go ahead."

"Lord, is it true that a million years to you is but a second?"

"Yes, that is true."

"Well, then, what is a million dollars to you?"

"A million dollars to me is but a penny."

"Ah, then, Lord," says the man, "may I have a penny?"

"Sure," says the Lord. "Just a second."

Another joke reflecting the relativity of speed.

A snail was mugged by two turtles. When the police asked him, what happened, he said, "I don't know. It all happened so fast."

No comments: