Monday, March 1, 2010

Spiritual Elitism - - - Can the Fall be Contained?


(Pictured: The C Street House in Washington, DC)

I believe that a huge topic is at stake here and I don’t if I can put it into words. It has to do with how manageable is the Fall of Adam. Another word, which may or may not be synonymous, is sanctification. Can we, as Christians, ever escape the effects of the Fall?

Two things brought this to mind recently. The first was the comment by Alex after Feb 19 th’s posting. Alex put a link to this blog. To make a long story short is was about a family coming to the blogger’s church. The 7 year old adoptive daughter, Lydia, was accidently killed by her Christian parents. Her Christian parents were practicing a type of child-rearing techniques (including severe corporal punishment) advocated by a very conservative pastor in Tennessee. I personally know of another case that is like this one. The Tennessee pastor believes in “entire sanctification” or where Christians can contain the effects of the Fall to the point they never sin anymore. So, you can literally beat the sin out of your kids in other words.

Then that night I heard on NPR another story about the “C Street House.” I’ve heard of that place before. But, in case you haven’t, I will explain in brief.

The “C Street House” is a secret ministry set up to disciple, at a very elite level, members of congress or the Senate. The purpose was to help create godly leaders of this country. Very little is known about it except it is listed as a church for tax purposes and it is operated by the same people who set up the annual Prayer Breakfast.

This house has been in the news lately because three of these elite disciples have been behaving badly. Maybe you could call it, “Disciples Gone Wild.” One of the disciples is Mark Sanford, who was recently caught slipping off to Argentina to visit his mistress. Seven days before he was caught, another associate of the house, Mark Ensign (Senator from Nevada) was caught in an affair. Now put this in context with the fact that only a handful of men meet the standards of living in or associating with that house. These are the spiritual and power elite.

Now, I’ve read that Cal Thomas and others have defended the house in the aftermath of those scandals along the lines of not judging the entire work based on a couple of bad apples. Or, more like, Jesus is all about forgiveness.

But that’s not the criticism that I voice here. My criticism or question is, can we really manage our sin in this way? Is there really a ladder of climbing out of sin into “godliness” or spirituality?

I think that my personal fall from Evangelicalism started when the godliest men I ever knew . . . were guilty of some of the worst sins I could imagine. But it took me a while to believe it. I’ve told the story before about the most hard-core disciple I ever met (he was a Navigator staff guy) disappeared one year and returned the next year with a new wife who was half his age. None of us asked a single question about it, even though it was the elephant in the room. Then, there was my missionary boss. I had him on the highest human pedestal of spirituality. He did some bad things. Then there was myself, I’ve been capable of some bad things.

I want to think about this a little more and do another post or two. But in summary, I think the way you look at sin really determines if you are an Evangelical or not. Evangelicals believe that they can achieve spirituality. In the same breath, they can relegate the non-Christian, or even the “weak Christian” to a much lower level of worth and existence. That’s why Evangelicals don’t like non-Christians. They don’t like their music (like KD Lang) or their art, or their books (especially if they have words like shit in them). But when you see that not even a sheet of onion-skin paper couldn’t fit between you level of spirituality and that of the worst human, you are not only more grateful for the mercy of God in Christ. But you also don’t trust anyone. I don’t trust my own spirituality. I don’t trust that of any spiritual leader. Actually, the more they seek the limelight, the less I trust them.

3 comments:

Don said...

Very important thoughts and I also bounce back and forth on this. I marvel that the average person driving along with me in traffic is not an axe murderer, that we are pretty normal as a mass in our desires and how we achieve them. But on the other hand I know that I am capable of the most selfish behavior and lustful thinking after 35 years of discipleship. Will my thinking inevitably lead to action, I hope not.

Anonymous said...

The Tennessee pastor believes in “entire sanctification” or where Christians can contain the effects of the Fall to the point they never sin anymore.

Think of the opportunities for Spiritual One-Upmanship...

So, you can literally beat the sin out of your kids in other words.

"And if I rack him 'til he die, what of it? For I will have Saved His Soul."
-- "The Inquisitor" in Mark Twain's Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

The “C Street House” is a secret ministry set up to disciple, at a very elite level, members of congress or the Senate. The purpose was to help create godly leaders of this country. Very little is known about it except it is listed as a church for tax purposes and it is operated by the same people who set up the annual Prayer Breakfast.

This "C Street House" (also under the name "The Family") figures extensively in a LOT of Conspiracy Theories. Mostly the "Xian Theocracy" sub-type of the "New World Order/Global Elite/Black Helicopter Boys" conspiracies. The usual claim is that they are the "Shadow Government" that is REALLY running the country or in the process of staging a coup followed by a Theocracy of Perfect Virtue (aka a Christian Taliban, with a similar fate for all Infidels, Heathens, and Insufficiently Devout).

They're said to pitch specifically to the Rich and Powerful, ignoring everyone else. (Apparently counting on a "trickle-down effect".)

Other than that, information about them tends to get the flavor of Reptoids from Inside the Hollow Earth or the Communist Gangster Computer God on the Dark Side of the Moon.

Headless Unicorn Guy

abmo said...

Can the fall be contained? No :-) All our efforts to be holy, act holy, look holy, will actually lead in the opposite, I believe. We as christians do not understand grace and we do not understand our human condition....at all. We contaminate everything we touch. Our best intentions can have the most negative effects.

I too, don’t trust my own spirituality, but I do trust Jesus. He is safe. I don't really trust leaders, but I trust my friends.(Some of them are leaders, just not in that capacity in my life.)

It's difficult to explain, but I view everything through a lens of grace. I know I will disappoint others and people will disappoint me, but Jesus showed us that He can be found in the disappointment. The effects of the fall it seems, has not changed Him. He still loves us.