Tuesday, March 16, 2010

How's Your "Christian" Video Library?








About two years ago I ordered the video series by Francis Schaeffer, How Shall We Then Live. The best source was a reformed (Christian) on-line book and video store. Well, now I'm on their mailing list.





About once every week or so I get ads to buy more videos. Once before I talked about the one about Global Warming. But I wanted to share a few more with you, and see if you think any of these belong in a Christian bookstore.

In case you can't read the titles on the photos, I will list them here:


(Wonderful stories about the founders of the Tea Party Movement)

Hillary Uncensored

Masculine Christian Leadership

Harry Potter Witchcraft

The Drugging of our Children ADHD

The Biblical View of Global Warming

Shakey Town/ Gays in San Francisco

and

Monstrous Regiment of Women.

So my question is, what the hell do these topics have to do with Jesus? I could see these videos in some right wing group headquarters or possibility a (conservative) Republican office . . . but in a Christian book store?

It is fine to align yourself with all kinds of personal interest groups. But whenever you mix Jesus with these interest/political groups . . . it is always a huge problem. This is what I think it is talking about in Colossians 2:8

"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ."

Please understand that I'm not speaking against the right wing agenda . . . nor the left. I'm speaking against mixing Jesus with topics that are political and were NOT addressed in scripture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A lot of these sound like "Conspiracy-a-Go-Go" stuff that gets pitched on Art Bell around 3 Ayem.

"Masculine Christian Leadership" could either be a revival of "Muscular Christianity" or a male-supremacist screed.

"Harry Potter Witchcraft" -- I remember "Turmoil in the Toybox" et al during the height of the Satanic Panic; then it was D&D and Star Wars instead of Harry Potter, but the denunciations were identical.

Headless Unicorn Guy

P.S. Phil Pullman thanks Harry Potter for taking all the fire while Golden Compass slipped through into awards, required reading lists, and even Christian school libraries.