Monday, September 24, 2012

The Minuscule God of the Evangelicals Part I

I have been told more than once, by evangelicals, that my problem is that "Mike . . . your God is too small!"  That is usually after someone described how they had been looking to buy a Mustang and they happen to see one at the car lot, proving that God wanted them to buy it.  Or maybe grandma's pneumonia got better and I suggested it was because of the azithromycin and they said that had nothing to do with it . . . it was the direct hand of God in a real, miracle.

So, I've spent some time thinking about this, and I want to start putting my thoughts down.  As it turns out, I'm quite convinced that the problem is the opposite.  Evangelicals still live under the Greco-Roman concept of God, who is slightly larger than a Marvel character.  I will try to prove my point in this series of posts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading your posts.