Saturday, February 13, 2010

Books - And Caulfield Christians

I'm still working my way through the classics. I finished Lord of the Flies last week. It was one of the few classics I had read in high school I really enjoyed William Golding's style of description.

I'm presently reading Faulkner's As I Lay Dying. It is too early to be captured by the narrative.

I'm also listening to Jack Kerouac's On the Road.I started listening to it while hiking in Nepal but never finished it. I have to say, Jack Kerouac is an amazing story teller . . . about the best I've ever heard.

I'm also going to start a manuscript by HUG . . . again. I started it four months ago but lost it and now have found it again.

But, the thing that comes to mind to me again was the book that started this journey a little over a year ago . . . The Catcher in the Rye. As I started to talk about previously, with the death of JD Salinger, I heard about groups of Caulfield wannabes. As I listened to the story about these fans, the point made was how they identified with Caulfied (and thus Salinger, himself) because they were outsiders . . . rejecting the phony society.

Like I said before, I think that Salinger had some great observations . . . but wrong conclusions. But I wanted to think about how some of us are Caulfied Christians, looking in from the outside, not quite fitting in. I will come back to this thought tomorrow.

No comments: